Owens Food Court at Owens Hall
Owens Food Court, which opened in 1991, houses 12 specialty shops serving international and American favorites including pastas, sub sandwiches, Mexican specialties, Philly cheese steaks, and stir-fry combinations. Owens received a vibrant facelift in 2006, with a bright new color scheme. It is located in Owens Dining Center, which was built in 1940 and named after university mess steward J.J. "Pops" Owens.
- Bowl Dynasty: Features Asian specialties including General Tso’s chicken.
- Carvery: At the Carvery, students can find hot vegetables, carved meats, rotisserie chicken, and daily blue-plate lunch and dinner specials.
- Farms & Fields Project: The newest shop in Owens Food Court focuses on organic, local, or sustainably produced foods, serving lunch and dinner Monday through Friday.
- Flip's: This shop offers American classics such as gourmet hamburgers and cheeseburgers, grilled-to-order sandwiches, Hebrew National® hot dogs, and French fries.
- Frank's Deli: Frank's Deli serves a variety of signature sandwiches. Students can build their own sandwich combination from quality ingredients including roast beef, turkey breast, salami, ham, Swiss and provolone cheeses, and a variety of breads.
- Freshëns®: Not only can students get fat-free yogurt here, but they can also find delicious smoothie blends made with real fresh fruit and containing the RDA of 10 essential vitamins.
- The Garden: The Garden is a soup, salad, and fruit bar that is guaranteed fresh daily.
- La Cantina: La Cantina offers a number of different authentic Mexican dishes including taco salads, tacos, burritos, and quesadillas.
- Lotsa Pasta: A variety of noodles and sauces are offered along with a special Italian dish of the day.
- The Oasis: Here students can choose from a variety of cold bottled beverages.
- Philly City: Students can enjoy Blacksburg's best Philly cheese steak, or Philly chicken cheese steak.
- Sweet Temptations: A wide selection of pies, cakes, and other pastries are waiting here for students to enjoy.
- Concept: Food court
- Average daily transactions: 5,275
- Seating capacity: 700
- Top-selling products: General Tso's Chicken, Philly Cheese Steak, Smoothies, and Frank's Special Teams Sandwich
- Top three shops: Frank’s Deli, La Cantina, Freshëns®
- Renovation costs: $4 million (1991)
- Food Service Consultant: Birchfield Food Systems
- Architect: Hanbury Evans Wright Vlattas & Co
- Assistant director: Carolyn Bess
- Executive chef: John Scherer
- Chef de cuisine: Jeremy Vermeulen
- Food production manager: Steve Swannell
- Operations managers: Tony Riley, Betty Shields, and Alisha Barker